No products in the basket.
I am not a nutritionist and am not claiming to be one. I am only giving this information to help others. You can read & take on the following information at your own discretion.
Whilst training in any sport, especially endurance sports, athletes struggle to loose weight while maintaining form. In the olden days, it was believed that not fuelling your training sessions was the only way to loose weight. There is a time and place for energy deficit sessions for weight loss. These ‘training low’ sessions will usually be lighter training sessions, with no specific efforts. You don’t want to be ‘training low’ when you are meant to be hitting certain numbers as this may affect your power output and recovery afterwards.
The best way to maintain your form, whilst loosing weight, is by eating less AWAY from your training sessions. This is the easiest & smartest way to loose weight. Lowering your carbohydrate intake at dinner time is also helpful. I eat my ‘treats’ during my training sessions, as I know I need the fuel & will be burning it off. It also suppresses your sweet tooth for the rest of the day!
May I stress, once again, that everyone is different and this is just advice I am giving, through my own experiences.
Here is my rule of thumb:
- Eat a high carbohydrate breakfast (pre training)
- Eat up to 90g carbohydrate during exercise >1hr (some sessions ‘training low’)
- Eat a high protein post training meal (approx 20g protein: 60g carbohydrate)
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat wholesome foods (lots of vegetables)
- Eat a high protein dinner with lots of vegetables to fill you up
- If you have a hard/long training session the next day include 1/2 cup carbohydrates (i.e. rice, sweet potato, quinoa etc)
- If you have a recovery day the next day omit carbohydrates
- Always have 1-2 ‘cheat’ meals a week. Don’t stress about it too much. If you are too strict, you won’t be able to maintain it. Think of it as a healthy change and not a diet. Everything in moderation!
- Always enjoy what you eat! Life is too short to eat bad food!